Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sweet As Cupcakes

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; if you've never had the opportunity to participate in a Relay For Life event, you are missing out on an amazing experience!  A sense of community, camaraderie, and most importantly...hope.  Something, that no matter what your personal situation and tribulations (and we all have them), we crave.  Where almost everyone has a story, which in turn, creates a bond amongst all of us involved. 



Today was our local Relay event.  The weather, as predicted, was ominous...rain and storms were headed our way for the duration of the day.  I won't even try to say I wasn't slightly disappointed when the weather was forcasted, because to tell the truth, my heart sank - if just a smidge!  Tents, tables, activities and excitement just aren't as much fun in a downpour, right?  But, this morning while drinking my prerequisite pot of morning coffee, and while the house was quiet and still, I dug a little deeper into my thoughts and reasonings (hey, it happens to me occasionally.)

I rewound my memory back to when my own mother was sick, and came to the conclusion that the weather and cancer went hand in hand.  It was a whirlwind 14 months for all of us, to say the least.  It seemed that a thick black cloud hung over every activity, every holiday, every day...until the very end.  Our family's storm, if you will.  The survivors...well they can't be anything other than the rainbow after the horrendous storms have passed, and the warmth of the sun shining is most definitely organizations such as Relay For Life/The American Cancer Society.  This quickly changed my attitude about the day's events...if we weren't all willing to walk through a little rain, then how in damnation can we ever conquer something as devastating as cancer?  Perfect analogy.  Shoes on!

Luckily, the weather was quite cooperative until 5 p.m.  The luminaria event will be held at a later date, which we will NOT miss.  Come hell or high water, even if I have to drag myself there...I will attend!!  Personally, while the survivors' walk is beyond a hopeful and inspiring jump start to the day(which we all need), the luminaria ceremony is where my heart lies.  After such an upbeat, encouraging day, it's that last lap completed in silence and darkness, with only candlelight to light our way, that speaks to me.  The sheer volume of luminaries is harrowing, and it's a time to remember those storms our loved ones endured...not in vain, and in turn, gives us all the will to fight until there is no longer a need for luminaries or even relays at all!!

Here's a few highlights from today:

What's a Relay without a relay??


Sack race anyone?  These girls have a hard time just walking...Grace is not either of their names...throw in a sack...and well, you have a disaster...wedding video montage material for sure!


The one on her knees?  Yeah, she's mine *face palm*



Who doesn't LOVE cupcakes?  Sweet as sugar... Welcome to the cupcake eating contest (a dozen of them each)!!!!


Ok...these two seemed a little "cocky" before the contest considering the were the only adult females, the youngest and were outweighed by at least 50lbs...we'll see....


On your mark, get set...wait a hinkey....is that apprehension I see?


And they're off...although not glamorously!


The look says "Hey, 'Riah...maybe this wasn't such a great idea!"


And after coming to terms with their defeat...there's nothing like a little friendly cupcake fight between best friends!



Wonder if I can interest my girls in a cupcake?


So, if you take nothing else away from this tonight...please do yourself a favor and treat yourself to the experience of Relay For Life....oh, and that cupcake eating contests will immediately crush your love of cupcakes FOREVER!!! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment